The end of summer is near, kids sleeping out on the deck, late nights, family time. The Joys of Summer.
I think as a mom, I get so excited for school to be out, I will have more time in the summer because we won't be running around. Wait, baseball is not over and my kids are home and that means I have to keep them busy, create a new routine, get everyone to stick to it and somehow I become more busy then during the school year, more interruptions, more meals to cook and prepare, keeping them busy on not in front of TV or video games. I do love having my kids around and I love spending time with them, so I have learned to become more relaxed so everyone can enjoy summer while still being productive and get things done around the house.
So I created the Love to get things done list. Which I have found works great and I give it to them at the beginning of the week so they have all week to do it. We also have 2-3 goals for the week to specific things daily to accomplish, we go over our goals every Sunday Night. We talk about how we could do better or how great we did!
Every one feels good for accomplishing their goals and list, or doing better next week. In the evening at the dinner table we go around and everyone names 5 things they are grateful for, and our favorite part of the day.
Being organized and planning ahead has given us more family time, for summer fun and completing projects together or if you need a break, these DIY's will keep them busy either way.
What you need:
8 cups flour
1 cup vegetable oil
8-10 drops Lavender essential oil
1. In large bowl combine all ingredients.
2. Mix with hands until well combined.
Note: You may need to add more vegetable oil until you reach a moldable consistency.
|Karly making Play Dough Click here for slide show|
What you need:
2 cups flour
2 cups colored water
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
5 drops of your favorite essential oil
1. Combine all ingredients, except for essential oils, in a large saucepan and stir until combined.
2. Once combined, put over medium heat. Using a spatula, continue to stir ingredients together until it forms a ball.
3. Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper.
4. Once cool, add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil and knead until thoroughly combined.
5. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for months of fun!
What you need:
½ cup of water
1 teaspoon borax
1/8 cup of clear glue glitter
1-2 drops of Balance essential oil
1. In a plastic cup mix together water and borax, once the borax dissolves, set aside.
2. In a small bowl mix together glue, Balance essential oil and glitter until combined.
3. Pour glue substance into the cup of water mixture, and stir with a popsicle stick until it forms a clump of glue.
Note: the glue will not combine with the water, you are simple swirling it around until the glue becomes more solid
4. Take the glue out and place it on a paper towel. Fold the paper towel over it to dry the water.
5. Play with it in your hands so all of the bubbles release, and form into a ball. Tip: Use two round tablespoons to get the perfect ball.
TIP: Make summer more exciting with a once-a-day challenge for your kids. Write your daily challenge on a small piece of paper. Challenges can include activities such as "have a picnic with mom," "help in the garden," "make play dough," or "go fishing with dad and catch one fish." Roll up the paper, and place it in an empty essential oil bottle and designate an area that the new challenge will be placed every day. With this thrilling new trick, your kids will be rushing to see what's next!